Friday, May 13, 2016

Community Safety Public Transport Sexual Harassment "Susie O’Brien: Disgusting creep sexually harassed me on the train" May 12, 2016 Susie O’Brien Herald Sun "What happened to Susie O'Brien any reasonable person would find clearly wrong" Pete Dowe #ptv


"He then wedged his knee between my legs, almost knocking my computer off my knee. 
"He was crooning “baby,” “baby” to me."


What happened to Susie O'Brien any reasonable person would find clearly wrong
This is a legitimate complaint by Susie.. 

Whether it's a sign of the times? fear of crime? or trauma? which also makes some people hyper-vigilant.there can be also an over-zealous, "proactive" reaction where for instance some women stare the whole public transport ride and you're a guy minding you're own business.

I'm sorry women feel uncomfortable and as a male I feel uncomfortable on public transport too. 

The gender-specific approach to crime has us on the lookout for the bad man. 

While what this guy did to Susie was wrong and intimidating, a guy doing nothing wrong who has no interest in you, is a guy doing nothing wrong who has no interest in you.

I personally would like PSO's on the Train. 

Let's have real authority on the train not social media "justice"


Pete Dowe


Susie O’Brien: Disgusting creep sexually harassed me on the train


Subscriber Exclusive Icon
“He wedged his knee between my legs, almost knocking my computer off my knee,” writes Susie O’Brien. Picture: Rebecca Michael
SADLY, sexual harassment of women on public transport continues to be a huge issue.
It’s not flattering. It’s scary and annoying.
I know this first-hand as I was harassed on the train this morning as it pulled into Flinders St station.
The train was nearly empty as it was the end of the line, so I was surprised to see a well-dressed man sit opposite me.
I didn’t take any notice and kept typing on my laptop.
He then wedged his knee between my legs, almost knocking my computer off my knee.
He then moved his knee slightly, but his legs were still wide apart, meaning that his crotch was in my face as I bent over to pick up my bags.
He was crooning “baby,” “baby” to me.
I stood up, gathered my bags and went to wait by the door until the train stopped.
As I walked along the station towards the underpass I assessed those around me: who could help if I needed it? Was this man following me? What would I do if he made another, more persistent move?
Thankfully, although the man got off, he didn’t come in my direction. But it didn’t stop him from scaring the hell out of me.
Shame on him for harassing someone who was just trying to get to work.
I posted a brief account on my News with Suse Facebook page and was amazed at the response from some readers.
“Why didn’t you just move?” said one woman.
“Sounds like you are making it up,” said a man, who accused me of “playing a genderist misandrist card”.
“I had a girl accuse me of harassing her when I had only been a gentleman to her,” he wrote.
Well, this man wasn’t trying to be a gentleman, he was trying to assert power over me and scare me.
Susie O'Brien was harassed on her way to work.
I hate to think how he would make a younger, more vulnerable woman feel. I did move, but I shouldn’t have had to.
Of course, also today a Melbourne court was told a young woman could have avoided being sexually assaulted by her taxi driver if she had taken her mother’s advice to sit in the back of the cab like other women.
“She sat in the front seat ... she was advised by her mum not to do that,” barrister Ben Mallick, acting for driver Omar Hassan, told the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court.
“She can avoid this happening by doing what other women do ... by sitting in the back seat.”
Thankfully, the point was rejected by Magistrate Andrew Capell.
I can’t believe people have this view: that women are to blame for being sexually harassed. Perhaps we could stay safe by staying home, never catching cabs, never catching trains and never going anywhere?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/susie-obrien/susie-obrien-disgusting-creep--sexually-harrassed-me-on-the-train/news-story/e83eae719c1505c248e135a73c911fd4

No comments:

Post a Comment