Friday, March 15, 2013

Cycling Shared Paths Speeding Cyclists "Frightening" "Are going to Hit Somebody" Shadow Roads Minister Terry Mulder Hansard 2009

"I am concerned that one day there will be a serious collision 

between a cyclist and a pedestrian in Nicholson Street..."

"I walk a lot in the morning. I go up around the North Carlton area to the top of Rathdowne Street, then come back down Nicholson Street, which is a very interesting street in that the footpath is a shared pedestrian and bicycle path.

I am concerned that one day there will be a serious collision between a cyclist and a pedestrian in Nicholson Street, because there is nothing to separate pedestrians and cyclists on the footpath.

Cyclists come quickly riding up behind you and do not ring their bells. On the day before yesterday I was just opposite the emergency entrance of St Vincent's Hospital when an elderly lady was walking in the opposite direction. We were both passed by a bike. 

She looked at me and said, 'Isn't it frightening? They are going to hit somebody'." 

The Hon Terry Mulder MP
Shadow Minister for Roads
Hansard May 5th 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment