"Almost one in five fatal cycle crashes (16%) involved a cyclist, usually young,
2 Entering the roadway
Young people are being killed riding off the footpath onto the road
killed riding onto a road from a footpath or driveway (DCAs 147 &148) (2002)
Recommendation to parents of young cyclists
- Do not let your child near the road unsupervised until they are road ready.
- This means they can stop their bike and cross the road safely.
- Road safety for children is like pool safety – constant supervision is the key.
Suggestions to Motorists
- Motorists need to watch out for young riders entering the roadway or crossing the road. This is especially true on rural roads passing residential properties.
- Adjust your speed around residential properties
Recommendations to Government
- Off road paths need clear crossing points with all roads. This crash type illustrates one of the main problems with footpath riding - cyclists still have to cross a road at every intersection, including each driveway.
- Implement a safe routes to schools program to provide safe off-road paths to schools with clear crossing points at roads
- Expand the 50kph speed zones to cover all residential areas. Consider 40kph speed limits for local streets.
- Include alerts to this danger in their public education information.