Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Cyclist Dies riding on Train Station Platform North Melbourne Station Death Fatality Herald Sun Community Safety

Cyclist dies after train fall at North Melbourne station

A CYCLIST has died after a marathon rescue effort to free him from under a train at a suburban station yesterday.
Full Digital Access - $5 for first 28 days
Police said the Keilor Downs man, aged 47, was riding his bicycle along platform five at North Melbourne station when he collided with a commuter and lost balance, falling on to the track about 5.10pm.
The man was run over by a city-bound V/Line train, and was trapped for more than 90 minutes until he was freed by emergency crews.
Ambulance Victoria spokeswoman Liana Cross said the man was taken to the Royal Melbourne Hospital, where he underwent surgery for severe leg injuries.
Late last night, a police spokesman said the man died during surgery just after 9pm.
Earlier, hundreds of peak-hour commuters watched as emergency crews worked to free the man.
Constable Luke Donoghue was one of the first on the scene and held the cyclist's hand as he lay trapped under the train.
"He was conscious, but he's in a bad way," Constable Donoghue said, before the man was freed.
Crowds were directed away from the platform by Connex staff.
Ms Cross said rescue crews disconnected power lines and had to lift the train to free the man.
An emergency surgical team was on standby at the scene.
Witness Nicholas Parsons was at the station when the cyclist fell.
"He got bumped off on to the tracks and the train went over him and stopped," he said.
Mr Parsons said he heard the cyclist yell out.
"People were in shock pretty much. They didn't know what was going on," he added.
Ambulance Victoria paramedic team manager John Crossman said the man was put into an induced coma when freed.
He was moved to an ambulance where his heart stopped beating for a time and paramedics commenced resuscitation, Mr Crossman said.
He described the rescue as "probably one of the most complicated cases that any of us would have seen in our 12, 13, 15 years".
He said safety concerns included electrical hazards.
Connex spokeswoman Kate De Clerq said last night that train services were re-routed off the line and there were no lengthy delays for commuters.
Police said there were no suspicious circumstances, and they would be preparing a report for the coroner.

No comments:

Post a Comment