Cycling is about "Safe exercise" and "Safe low-emission travel" The Health and Fitness objective is UNDERMINED if the means of exercise is UNSAFE! This blog STRONGLY OPPOSES certain reforms VicRoads is currently considering: “cyclists could be allowed to treat red lights as Give Way signs. And the same could also APPLY at pedestrian lights."
Also "PERMITTING cyclists, riding cautiously, to proceed past a stationary tram;" "allowing teenagers to ride on footpaths"(Herald Sun)PDowe
Before the police conference, Sharon Pajich told PerthNow Aaron was a “loving boy” and a gentle soul.
“He was a very good boy and he would never have hurt anyone,” she said. “He respected life and everything else . . . he enjoyed school.”
She said he would be missed “very deeply” and wanted it known she had “always loved him”.
Aaron’s father Keith Sweetman said he and Aaron’s stepmother Veronica Desmond were shocked and shattered, describing the teenager as a “lovely child and great boy”.
“(He was) always helping us, would always come and see us, would always be there to help us when we needed help,” he said.
Mr Sweetman said his son was “very trusting”.
“Because he loved people, his heart was not bad, he didn’t smoke, he didn’t drink, he went to church. He gave himself to the Lord and then someone goes and takes him.”
Mr Sweetman said police broke the news to him on Tuesday night and he had the awful task of identifying his son’s body on Wednesday.
“It’s extremely sad. I just couldn’t believe it,” he said.
Earlier, a friend of the Pajich family who arrived at the house where Aaron’s body was found said the family was in shock over the tragic development.
“They are in shock and absolute disbelief,” the young woman, who did not want to be named, said.
The woman said plans were already under way to set up a gofundme page to help the 18-year-old’s family.
Following news of Aaron’s death, tributes have been pouring in on social media.
A former classmate of the teen wrote on Facebook: “R.I.P little one can’t believe this happened, I remember back last year at school when I used to come to you and ask you to hang when (you) had no one to hang with.”
“Your such a sweet, loving and carrying boy that goes out and help others in class. Taken to Soon!! Will be Miss.”
Another friend posted a touching tribute on Facebook, saying Aaron did not deserve such an end. “I’m almost crying. RIP Aaron you didn’t deserve this. You didn’t deserve a life of being bullied just to end up dead in some ... back yard. You were a sweet boy, who was so innocent. You’re an angel now enjoy your life of peace.”
A Gofundme page has also been set up to help Aaron’s family with funeral costs.
“An innocence taken advantage of and forever taken from this world. Please support the Sweetman/Pajich families in helping with the funeral to lessen some of the stress at this horrible time,” the page reads.
A woman who donated posted a message that she had the “honour” of being Aaron’s maths teacher when he was in year six at Kwinana Christian School.
“He always had a smile and a genuine heart to welcome you into his world,” she said.
“As a mother of a son with autism myself, I cannot imagine what sorrow his family are going through. I am so very sorry Aaron that your innocence was taken too early. Much love to his family.”
Mr Sweetman said he and Aaron’s stepmother, who are both pensioners, were also concerned about the financial cost of laying Aaron to rest. He said any help – even well wishes – would be gratefully received. “We’re just going to try to do everything we can to pay for any service because neither of us can work, we’re both on the pension,” he said.
“It’s so sad; we’re worried we cannot pay for his funeral.”
Before Aaron’s body was found, the last confirmed sighting of the 18-year-old was around 10am on Monday, June 13, at a Rockingham City Shopping Centre taxi rank, where he was due to meet a women and a man known only as “Daniel”.
Aaron’s stepmother Veronica Desmond told media on Tuesday that the family was worried “something has happened” to Aaron or “someone has harmed him”.
“Or that it’s too late completely and even worse has happened,” she told Ten News Perth.
Ms Desmond said Aaron, known to frequent the Kwinana Town Centre and gaming stores around the metropolitan area was easily led and would normally call his father every day.
Ms Deveny received a message from Facebook over the weekend that read: 'We removed the post below because it doesn't follow the Facebook community standards'.
The controversial update promptly disappeared from her page as the ban ensued.
Following the incident, the comedienne took to Twitter to complain about the ban.
She tweeted: 'Hey I've been booted off @facebook for 30 days for saying the top ten causes of violence are men. I'm protesting on the grounds of truth.'
Incriminating message: As the post was deleted, Ms Deveny received a Facebook message that said: 'We removed the post below because it doesn't follow the Facebook community standards'
Grounds of truth: Following the incident, the comedienne took to Twitter to complain about Facebook's behaviour - she explained 'I'm protesting on the grounds of truth'
Her Twitter post was then re-tweeted more than 100 times, and liked nearly 200 times, with other people rushing to Ms Deveny's defence on the grounds that jokes about rape and beating women are constantly allowed through Facebook's filters.
Feminist writer, Clementine Ford, shared the story on her Facebook page on Monday highlighting the hypocrisy of the system.
She's back: On Monday, Ms Deveny was allowed back onto Facebook by the site, where she wrote the above post to double check she could update her status again
Banned again: As the post was re-instated by Facebook, Ms Deveny wrote the above message - which then proceeded to be deleted by Facebook AGAIN
When Ms Deveny's post was re-instated by Facebook on Monday, and she re-shared her earlier feelings alongside the Facebook caption: 'You'll be delighted to know the post has reappeared [sic] on my timeline. A bit of a win for all. Thanks comrades', the post was deleted again for breaching Facebook's community standards.
Once again Ms Deveny returned to Twitter where she posted:
'Dear @facebook, you banned me for 30 days on Sunday, lifted the ban, put the post back up and then banned me again for reposting it WTF? [sic].'
Confusion: The comedienne once more took to Twitter, where she made the above update, highlighting how confused she was by the double ban
No win: The ban on the second post is still due to be lifted - meanwhile on Twitter, the debate continues to rage, as hundreds of people have leapt to Ms Deveny's (pictured on left) defence
At present her second ban t is yet to be lifted.
On Twitter the debate continues to rage with hundreds of people coming to the comedienne's defence.
'Meanwhile I reported a video of a woman being beaten by a man with a belt and THAT didn't breach their standards @facebook, [sic]' one user posted on Twitter, which Ms Deveny then re-tweeted.
'Well that's a special level of stupid @facebook,' someone else tweeted. Catherine Deveny also re-tweeted this sentiment.